August 1, 2023
Job Title: Director of Philanthropy
Department: Development, Senior Staff
Reports to: President and CEO
Position Type: Full-time with benefits
Salary: $68,000-75,000 based on experience
Application Deadline: August 14, 2023 (see below for further instructions)
The Community Giving Foundation is accepting applications immediately for a full-time Director of Philanthropy. The Directory of Philanthropy will oversee the development and implementation of donor strategies following the Foundation’s Stewardship Plan. This leadership role establishes personalized and impactful funds, supports donors and fundholders, and strengthens connections across the region by representing the Foundation in the communities we serve. This key position will work with the President and CEO to achieve the Foundation’s goal of being the first choice for individual and business charitable giving.
- Create and implement multi-year donor cultivation plans that leverage senior leadership, board members, staff, community partners and nonprofits, to ensure continued growth and support of our communities.
- Work closely with the President and CEO to develop and implement professional advisor relationship building (accountants, asset managers, attorneys, etc.) to increase comfort and trust for client referrals and bolster referral pipelines.
- Serve as a spokesperson and presenter on behalf of the Foundation conveying our mission, vision, programs, impacts and needs.
- Bolster community connections that drive awareness of and participation in our work, seizing opportunities to engage new partners with the Foundation.
- Stay updated and educated on new strategic and comprehensive approaches to expand philanthropy and the services we provide to new and existing fund holders.
- Work closely with program department to remain knowledgeable of grant impact and ensure that grantee site visits are offered regularly to stakeholders.
- Collaborate with communications department to strategize effective plans to engage, inform and inspire diverse constituencies and audiences.
- Maintain policies and procedures following best practices that align with Council on Foundation’s National Standards for U.S. Community Foundations, and state and federal regulations related to charitable giving and fundraising.
- Serve effectively as a member of the Foundation’s Senior Staff team, advising and supporting other members of the staff and board.
- Manage operations assistant.
- Research additional funding streams, revenues and development systems to support and grow vital mission-driven programs.
- Demonstrate fiscal leadership and accountability by actively participating in budget development, ongoing budget management and regular reporting.
- Utilize Foundant/Community Suite software.
The nature of this position allows for flexibility during the 40-hour work week. Travel, events, board meetings, meeting with donors and organizations, often occur outside the Foundation’s office hours. This position can work remotely as needed following the working from home guidelines as determined by the CEO. Foundation office (725 West Front Street, Berwick PA) is open Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm.
Undergraduate bachelor’s degree required. Minimum five years experience working in development with a focus on the areas of donor stewardship, communications, leadership and/or management. Other combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
- Skilled and intentional listener, effective communicator (written and oral)
- Approachable, compassionate, friendly, and outgoing
- Demonstrated success in building and stewarding stakeholder relationships
- Experience with charitable giving and tools such as planned giving preferred
- Strong public speaker and presenter
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and conscientious self-starter
- Ability to strategize and prioritize effectively to accomplish multiple tasks
- Builds and maintains professional relationships with ease through management, engagement and care
- Works efficiently with timelines and budgets
- Values the importance of respecting and serving the breadth and diversity of our communities
- Proficient with data collection and reporting
- Understanding of nonprofit and/or community foundation structures and services preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft, Foundant/Community Suite, Zoom
The Community Giving Foundation is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. The Community Giving Foundation respects and values the diversity of our community and the importance of creating an inclusive environment. To pursue our mission, we embrace our diversity, create opportunity for equity, commit ourselves to fairness, and promote inclusion of all people.
Submit one email including cover letter, resume, and three letters of references to Kara G. Seesholtz, President and CEO, at [email protected]. Applicants will receive an email confirmation upon receipt of application and requested materials.
Deadline for applications is August 14, 2023.