Engaging young people in philanthropic “giving” is the purpose of the Foundation’s Youth in Philanthropy (YIP) program.
YIP provides high school students with an opportunity to learn about philanthropy and participate in the grant making process. Students from school districts across the region form teams that research school based and community needs and strengths. Through surveys, interviews and consensus, each team develops criteria to prioritize their grant investments.
Students gain experience in teamwork, community needs, running meetings, building consensus, nonprofit finance and other topics. The program culminates with year-end celebration where each team of students presents their $5,000 in grant investments to their school and community. Eight school districts are participating in the program: Benton, Berwick, Central Columbia, Columbia-Montour Vo-Tech, Danville, Northwest, Shikellamy and Warrior Run.
You're Invited to the 2018-2019 Grant Award Ceremony!
Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at the Danville High School Auditorium
Please join us as we celebrate the 2018-2019 Youth in Philanthropy program. High school YIP students from Benton, Berwick, Central Columbia, Columbia-Montour Area Vo-Tech, Danville, Northwest, Shikellamy, and Warrior Run School Districts will present their grant awards supporting youth programs across the region. A total of $38,500 will be presented to various nonprofit organizations.
Refreshments will be served at 8:30am, and the award ceremony will begin at 9:00am.
Please RSVP by April 22nd to Karri Harter at [email protected] or 570-752-3930 ext. 6
YIP Grants: Annually, February - May
- Service Area: YIP provides high school students with an opportunity to learn about philanthropy and participate in the grantmaking process. Students from school districts across the region form teams that research community needs and strengths as they relate to youth. Each team develops a portfolio for their grant investments that they determine will provide results measured in changed lives.
- Priority Areas of Interest: Based on the criteria defined by each participating YIP school group.
- Review needs assessments of school and community needs.
- Create a grant application and make available for groups and organizations to complete.
- Provide/present philanthropic activities to elementary students.
- Review grant applications, determine grant distribution and present to Foundation Board.
- Present the awards (share with community; publicize grants).
- Learn about volunteerism and research local volunteer opportunities.
- Take part in a group volunteer project.
This program is funded by the Berwick Health & Wellness Fund, the Central Columbia Educational Foundation, Danville Area Community Foundation and individual donor contributions, and the Warrior Run Education Foundation and individual donor contributions.
Youth in Philanthropy Student Resources (for YIP students only):
- Needs Assessment Survey Example 1
- Needs Assessment Survey Example 2
- Grant Application Example 1
- Grant Application Example 2
- Finding non-profits
- YIP Elementary Activities
- Grant Evaluation Form
- Minute Template