October 19, 2023
Community Giving Foundation: Sunbury announces grant awards totaling $204,220 to local charitable nonprofits and government agencies through their recent competitive process. The awards were granted through the following funds: Sunbury Area Health Fund, Mary E. and J. Guy Lesher Fund, Preston Giest and Kathryn S. Giest Fund, Clyde H. Jacobs Fund, Gloria Faylor Karchner Healthcare Fund, Gladys C. Dagle Fund, Bill and Ann Roll Fund, C.K. Battram Fund, and Sunbury General Charitable Purposes Fund.
Sunbury held its annual event on October 18, 2023, to highlight the community connections that drive philanthropy in the Sunbury area. During the breakfast, held at the Susquehanna Valley Country Club, Foundation staff, board members, and grant recipients shared personal stories reflecting the impact of community partnerships and local support. It was an inspiring time to celebrate and honor the nonprofits making a difference in our community every day.
Community Giving Foundation: Sunbury administers 27 endowed and pass-through funds, investing over $240,000 annually to local nonprofits and students. A complete list of funds and more information about the Foundation can be found at csgiving.org/sunbury.
Speakers during the October 18th breakfast. L to R: Dr. John Pagana, A Community Clinic; Kara G. Seesholtz, Foundation President and CEO; and Craig DeFazio, Sunbury Board Chair.
2023 Competitive Grant Awards
- A Community Clinic, Inc.—2023/24 Healthcare for Uninsured Residents of Sunbury Area, $50,000
- A Community Clinic, Inc.—2023/24 Caring for Kids: Addressing Food Insecurity Program, $10,000
- Birthright of Sunbury, Inc.—Family Assistance for Crib Mattresses, $1,000
- Birthright of Sunbury, Inc.—Family Assistance for Diapers and Infant Formula, $6,000
- Central Susquehanna Sight Services, Inc.—2023/24 Prevention of Blindness Programs for Sunbury Area Young Children, $8,000
- Degenstein Community Library—Early Childhood Programming, $1,000
- DIG Furniture Bank—Providing a Good Night’s Sleep for Sunbury Area Families, $5,000
- Geisinger Health System Foundation—Child Abuse Forensic Interviews to Support Child Trauma Victims and Combat Child Abuse in Sunbury, $10,000
- Girls on the Run Mid State PA—Supporting the Social, Mental, Emotional, and Physical Health of Girls, $5,000
- Greater Susquehanna Valley YMCA—Children’s Programs Financial Assistance, $8,000
- Haven Ministry—Building Addition, $10,000
- Setebaid Services, Inc.—HDYC 2024 Camperships at Camp Setebaid, $5,000
- Shape of Justice, Inc.—Sunbury Area Menstrual Hygiene Supplies, $2,500
- Spreading Antlers Children’s Foundation—Swim Safe Program, $20,000
- St. John’s Lutheran Church—Kate’s Kupboard Food Bank and Baby Station, $10,200
- Sunbury Bible Church—Night to Shine, sponsored by the Tim Tebow Foundation and hosted by the Sunbury Bible Church, $1,500
- Susquehanna River Valley Dental Health Clinic—2024 Project Oral Health Care for the Uninsured and Underinsured in Sunbury, $40,000
- The Salvation Army—Seasonal Food Assistance, $5,000
- Transitions of PA—Expansion of Fairl Family Justice Center Supervised Visitation Room, $6,000
Community Giving Foundation: Sunbury is an affiliate of the Community Giving Foundation, which helps administer grant and scholarship investments. Their mission is helping to meet a multitude of charitable needs in the Sunbury area. Nonprofit organizations that provide programming in the Sunbury community are encouraged to apply during the 2024 competitive grant round. Details will be available January 2024 at csgiving.org/grants.
Grant recipients from Sunbury’s 2023 competitive grant round gather during breakfast on October 18th.