October 19, 2021
Community Giving Foundation: Sunbury announces grant awards totaling $195,860 to local charitable nonprofits and government agencies through their recent competitive process. These awards were granted through the following funds: Sunbury Area Health Fund, Mary E. and J. Guy Lesher Fund, C. Preston and Kathryn S. Geist Endowment Fund, Clyde H. Jacobs Fund, Gladys C. Dagle Fund, Gloria Faylor Karchner Healthcare Fund, and Sunbury Charitable Purposes Fund.
Community Giving Foundation: Sunbury administers a total of 23 endowed and pass-through funds investing over $239,000 annually to local nonprofits and students. These funds include scholarship, donor-advised, field of interest, designated, agency, and unrestricted funds. Sunbury recently held a celebratory breakfast on October 14, 2021 at the Susquehanna Valley Country Club to recognize grant and donor stories of community giving. An event summary, complete list of funds, and more information about the Foundation can be found at csgiving.org/sunbury.
2021 Competitive Grant Recipients
- A Community Clinic—Program Support, $44,442
- Birthright of Sunbury, Inc.—Family Assistance for Diapers and Infant Formula, $6,000
- Birthright of Sunbury, Inc.—Family Assistance for Crib Mattresses, $2,000
- Central Pennsylvania Food Bank—Supporting Youth Hunger Programs in the Sunbury Area, $10,000
- Central Susquehanna Sight Services, Inc.—2021/2022 Prevention of Blindness Programs for Young Children, $8,000
- Degenstein Community Library—Wee Art – Wee Act Program, $5,000
- DIG Furniture Bank—DIG’s Delivery Truck, $2,500
- Fort Discovery Playground, Inc.—Fort Discovery Maintenance, $8,000
- Greater Susquehanna Valley YMCA—Reaching For The Next Star, $8,673
- Keystone Services Systems, dba Keystone Human Services—Mental Health Recovery Through Expressive Art, $5,000
- Regional Engagement Center (REC)—Intergenerational Artist in Residency Extension Program, $2,000
- Susquehanna River Valley Dental Health Clinic—2022 Project Oral Health Care for the Under-Insured and Uninsured, $40,000
- Susquehanna Valley CASA – Voices for Children—Court Appointed Special Advocates, $12,219
- Susquehanna Valley Community Education Project—Certified Nursing Assistant Program Launch in Sunbury, $20,000
- The Arc Susquehanna Valley—Wellness and Opportunity at The Arc Susquehanna Valley, $17,826
- The Salvation Army, Sunbury—Seasonal Assistance Program, $5,000
Sunbury is an affiliate of the Community Giving Foundation. Nonprofit organizations that provide programming in the Sunbury community and surrounding areas are encouraged to apply during the 2022 competitive grant round. Details will be available June 2022 at csgiving.org/grants.